Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Ocean

The last few times I've been down in San Diego, I did not see the
ocean, or it was dark. This time I made a concerted effort to get to
the ocean during the day. First was Ocean Beach, a small true beach
community that has not changed much since I first came there many,
many years ago while I was in the navy. Though they have fought the
fast food invasion over the years, there is a Starbucks on Newport
Avenue down by the beach. Afterwards, I met up with Scott in Pacific
Beach for lunch. The Crystal Pier (in the photo) has changed. For many
years the cottages were available for off season rental for very cheap
monthly rates. Guess some yuppies must have bought it, because now it
rents for $200 to over $300 per night year around. So much for the
"good old days". However, most of Pacific Beach has changed. It's
almost like the young people that I hung out with in the 70's never
left, though I know this is a new crop. The ones I hung out with now
are in Suburbia with subprime loans on the verge of foreclosure. Okay,
enough of reality. Back to the beautiful Pacific Ocean.

3 comments:

RWP said...

My favorite is still Mission Beach. I don't really know why, but for some reason the dynamic of the place has always jived with my mentality. The little back alley bungalows, boardwalk, life guard towers, Rubio's... I miss all of that. I am glad you got to take a whiff of that salty ocean breeze.

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

I never tire of the ocean. Glad that you were able to breathe the new air, hear the roar of the surf, watch the waves and their tireless movement. Life is good at the beach.

Dreame said...

Sleep comes easy when waves are pounding off shore. And, it seems like there's something about the ocean that gives one permission to slow down, breathe and just be.