Thursday, April 30, 2009

Route 66: Day 15

Finally made it to the Chicago area. We are camped near Joliet at the
intersection of I-55 and I-80. Thlnking about going into Chicago
tonight to get the lay of the land. Really windy today while driving.
Want to go to the corner of Jackson Blvd. and Lakeshore Drive. This
was the end (or beginning) of Route 66. It will mark the end of the
segment of the trip. Will visit the "Windy City" for a few days, then
start the return segment.

The restored gas station in the photo is in Dwight, IL. It is one of
several that have been restored along Route 66 in Illinois.

2 comments:

Re's Home on the Road said...

So sorry I didn't get a chance to say goodbye yesterday morning but I had gotten an email saying that the campgrounds in WI along I-90 didn't open for business until 5/1 so that meant I had to drive 10 hours yesterday to get to my friends home in northern WI! I was going to knock, but your shades were all drawn and I didn't want to wake you - if you had managed to sleep with the traffic off the freeway, the trains and then the rain pouring all night long! I sure didn't get much sleep and I was totally exhausted by the time I arrived yesterday evening.

Hope you enjoy 'my city' of Chicago and that the weather cooperates. The sun has come out here this morning and though still a little windy and cool, much better than rain. I'm going to check to make sure that campgrounds in and around the Badlands & Mt. Rushmore are open next week. I head out there on Tuesday morning and will actually be in the area Wednesday, Thursday & Friday, driving to Buffalo, WY on Saturday and over the Big Horns and into Cody on Sunday.

Please stay in touch - it was such a pleasure meeting you both. Next time I'll provide the wine. And be sure and keep me posted on the Burning Man - I really think I would like to do this!

ReAnn Scott (who wrote down you email wrong!)

Re's Home on the Road said...

Just made reservations at Rafter J Bar RV Ranch next to Custer State Park. http://rafterj.com/ They have reduced rates for pre-season and will rent me a car so I can sight-see. Wanted to stay in the park but they only have electric, no water or sewer and with the fee plus the park pass every day, as expensive as Rafter J. So give me a holler and lets be sure to hook up if you're in the area. ReAnn