Sunday, March 16, 2008

Trailer Life


I'm find living in a travel trailer, especially a small one, while on the road takes some adjusting. After all, how often can you fry up some eggs while taking a shower? Not really, but close. Advantages are numerous as well. Besides the obvious of cheaper on a per day basis, there is also the lack of having a maid in your room during the day. Or is that a disadvantage? Being able to cook your own meals is good, but also available in some hotel rooms. I found that gas mileage is a negative. After a long trip to Palm Springs back in December, I kept track and found I got 10 mpg. Thought that was pretty bad, but then just read in Consumer Reports that the mileage on an F-150 is around 13 without a trailer. Need to check my own sometime soon. I broke down and bought a small tv for the trailer a few days ago. It is now found atop the fridge on the left in the picture. That helps with the boredom. Guess I could wander around more and meet my neighbors, but since I'm usually only there for a few days, that seem counterproductive. Except some of the people are there for extended periods, and I do go back to some of the parks.


Guess I'll continue for awhile. Makes buying the trailer seem like a good idea. Using it once a year for a few days at Burning Man was not a good investment. Now I feel like I'm getting my money's worth.

4 comments:

RWP said...

Since I myself am extremely fond of the "living small" philosophy to life, I applaud your use of the trailer. IMHO it makes perfect sense... then again I don't have to pay your gas bill! What kind of TV did you get? I hope it is strapped down!!!

bullwinkle said...

It's a 13" Magnavox SDTV with a DVD player. Not strapped yet. I put it back in the box with the padding when moving the trailer. The box goes into the tub/shower to secure it. What the hell is IMHO? Is that some type of Montessori english?

RWP said...

IMHO = In My Honest Opinion

Get that TV strapped down!

bullwinkle said...

IMHO your right.