Sunday, January 20, 2008

Home Repairs

Saturday was pretty much spent on an electrical repair. The problem was eventually traced to the ceiling fan, where the infrared remote sensor had shorted and fried several wires. Amazingly, the circuit breaker had not tripped. A new circuit breaker is in order. In the meantime, the repair involved climbing into the attic to splice some new wires into the ceiling fan. The fan was in a room that had been added by the previous owners, and had a very narrow roof pitch since the room was narrow. This meant crawling on my stomach, barely being able to raise my head, across ceiling joists. When I stopped to make the splice, I had one joist across my chest, another on my waist, and another somewhere down on my legs. The chest and stomach areas became a very uncomfortable situation, and the fiberglass insulation and squirrel droppings around me added to the discomfort. I had to snake into that position, and snake out in reverse to retreat. This was my third trip up there, since part of the problem involved tracing wires. The previous trips had not involved going as far forward as the final trip. I would not recommend this to anyone. Good part is that I removed the sensor and rewired the fan/light to work on manual until a new sensor can be found.

1 comment:

RWP said...

Yo should have called, I would have done it for you! Which house?